Hurt Because of Negligent Security?
If you’re invited onto another’s property, especially a business, and there is security in place, you should be able to trust that it has been implemented for your protection. Unfortunately, in many cases, people find that the opposite is true, as the action or inaction of those meant to protect them is what leads to their injury or death.
What is Negligent Security?
Negligent security cases involve people who were victims of criminal acts on a business’ or another individual’s property because of inadequate security or a complete failure to provide any security.
Security negligence can include but is not limited to the following:
Negligent security victims can sometimes find justice and hold those at fault accountable through a personal injury lawsuit. In such cases, a manager, operator or property owner’s liability is often the focus of the lawsuit.
Who Can Sue for Security Negligence?
Those who are the victim of a crime or the families of those killed in an attack while on another’s property for which inadequate and/or failure to provide security was to blame may be able to file a negligent security lawsuit. A premises liability lawyer can guide victims through this process. Examples of people who can sue for security negligence under property owners’ liability include:
- Hotel guests whose rooms were robbed;
- Victims who suffer sexual assault or other serious injuries while visiting a property that claims to provide security, such as a nightclub, shopping mall or office building;
- Families who had a member suffer a wrongful death as the result of being the victim of an assault at a sports stadium;
- Nightclub assault victims (often involving bar fights perpetrated by trespassers, fellow patrons and even bouncers).
The Person Who Hurt Me in a Nightclub Assault Was Arrested. Do I Still Need a Bar Fight Attorney?
Those who commit acts such as rape, robbery and assault can and should be arrested and punished to the full extent of the law. However, as just and satisfying as seeing those who did them harm criminally punished can be, a criminal lawsuit does not always provide victims and families with the help they need and the compensation they are entitled to following the attack. In such cases, a premises liability attorney can help victims and families file a negligent security lawsuit, which could enable them to recover compensation for:
- Hospital bills;
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy;
- Lost wages if victims’ injuries limit their ability to or completely prevent them from working or a fatal injury victim was his or her family’s breadwinner;
- Stolen and/or damaged property;
- Mental, emotional and physical pain and suffering;
- Funeral expenses.
Negligent Security Lawyers Near Me
Personal injury lawyer Joshua Glotzer of Glotzer & Leib, LLP has a history of helping negligent security victims and their families, as his case results show, including:
- A case resulting in a million dollar recovery involving a woman who was sexually assaulted and nearly killed at a storage facility, because the property’s security guard left the premises during work hours at the time of the attack;
- An incident in which a man sued a bar after he tore his ACL in his knee when one of the bar’s bouncers used excessive force and threw him to the ground;
- Filing a negligent security lawsuit on behalf of a woman who was attacked by a homeless man in a strip mall parking lot. The strip mall had security, but didn’t provide it at the time of the assault despite knowing of the dangerous condition the property posed to employees and patrons.
Premises liability attorney Joshua Glotzer is dedicated to helping the victims of security negligence hold those responsible for hurting them accountable. For more information about negligent security lawsuits and how Glotzer & Leib, LLP can help you, call us (844) 821-5271 or fill out our online contact form to set up a free consultation with our premises liability lawyer .