In 2014, research data from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital published in a Newsweek article revealed a startling statistic. According to the report, on average, every three minutes in this country a toy-related injury leads to a child receiving treatment in an emergency room. On its own, this is a frightening revelation, but these incidents only involve one type of product and one age group out of many. Now imagine all the products out there and all the danger they could potentially pose to any one of us, from infants to the elderly.
What Should I Do If a Defective Product Hurt a Loved One or Me?
If you or a family member sustains an injury, the most important thing for you to do is seek immediate medical attention and/or call 911 if necessary. Following that, you should:
- Write down notes about the product and incident;
- Take pictures of the product and accident scene;
- No longer use the product, but keep it in your possession if possible;
- Even if you’re unsure whether a product defect caused your or your loved one’s injury or the death of a family member, you should talk to a product liability lawyer about your situation.
Who Can Sue Because of Product Liability?
Legally, incidents where someone was injured or killed because of a defective product are generally categorized as product liability cases. Examples of defective products that can lead to product liability cases are:
- Automobile defects, such as defective tires, airbags or engine components;
- Dangerous pharmaceutical medications;
- Defective children’s toys;
- Poorly constructed guardrails;
- Dangerous medical devices.
Those who may be able to sue if they or a loved one suffered an injury caused by a defective product can include but are not limited to:
- Injury victim;
- Parents or legal guardians of children or unmarried adults who were injured or killed;
- Siblings, grandparents or biological/adopted children of injury victim;
- Husband, wife or domestic partner of victim;
- Injury victim’s financial dependents.
How Can a Product Liability Lawyer Help If a Defective Product Hurt a Family Member or Me?
Los Angeles product defect attorney Josh Glotzer of Glotzer & Leib, LLP is prepared to legally challenge any individuals or companies whose negligence leads to accidents and injuries. People should never have to suffer and families should never lose loved ones, because of a preventable incident such as a defective product accident. Attorney Glotzer is relentless and dedicated in his pursuit of justice in product liability cases, both for the sake of those injured and to help prevent the negligence of those responsible from leading to more injuries.
At Glotzer & Leib, LLP, we pride ourselves on being able to assist accident victims and survivors and their families when they need it most. We are dedicated to justice and advocating for our clients under the law to provide victims with the compensation they are entitled to and closure they need in the aftermath of devastating accidents and catastrophic injuries, including:
- Securing compensation including money victims are entitled to and need to cover lost wages if injury causes them to miss work or claims the life a family’s income provider, rehabilitation and physical therapy, hospital bills and funeral expenses;
- Taking on the burden of bringing those responsible to justice, so that victims and families can concentrate on their health and well-being;
- Ensuring victims have a personal injury lawyer with the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to face off against large corporations, insurance companies and opposing attorneys.
For more information about Glotzer & Leib, LLP and how we can help you, visit our case results page. To set up a free consultation with our product liability lawyer, call us directly or fill out our online contact form.