Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident, you may want to consult a pedestrian accident lawyer in Burbank, CA from Glotzer & Leib, LLP. You may be entitled to compensation for your losses. A lawyer can help you file a timely claim against the negligent party.
Common Pedestrian Accident Myths
Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents occur quite regularly on California roadways and can result in serious injuries. If the accident was a motorist’s fault, the injured pedestrian may be able to recover compensation. Here are some common myths about pedestrian accidents.
- Only high-speed accidents result in severe injuries. This isn’t necessarily true. Pedestrians can also suffer serious injuries in low-speed accidents. For example, run-over and dragging accidents usually occur at lower speeds, but can still cause devastating accidents to pedestrians.
- In order to get compensation, a vehicle must hit you. Many people assume that they can only recover compensation if a vehicle made contact with their body. However, this isn’t the case. If you, for instance, are forced to dive out of the way of a speeding driver and suffer injuries, that driver may still be held liable.
- Drivers always stop if you are crossing at a green light. While drivers are expected to stop for pedestrians crossing at a green light, not all of them do. They may get distracted by something else and not see the pedestrian.
- It’s expensive to hire a lawyer. Some accidents victims are reluctant to hire a pedestrian accident lawyer in Burbank, CA because they assume they can’t afford one. The good news is that most of these lawyers work on a contingency fee. Rather than charging fees upfront, your lawyer will take a percentage of your settlement at the end. If you don’t win your case, you won’t owe your lawyer money.
- Drivers are always at fault. While drivers are often held responsible for pedestrian accidents, pedestrians can also be considered at-fault. For example, if you were under the influence of alcohol while walking or were distracted by your smartphone while crossing the street, you may be found at least partially at-fault, which may reduce your compensation.
- Pedestrian accident victims can file a claim at any time. This is another common myth about pedestrian accidents. Although it’s okay to take some time to breathe and relax after a pedestrian accident, you shouldn’t wait too long to seek legal action. In California, the statute of limitations to file an accident claim is two years.
Schedule a consultation with a pedestrian accident lawyer in Burbank, CA from Glotzer & Leib, LLP today.