One of the greatest benefits of living in southern California is having access to our vast network of waterways. From oceans to lakes to rivers, we can enjoy on-the-water activities, such as recreational boating, at any of a number of nearby destinations. However, an unfortunate result of so many of us enjoying time on the water is that it creates additional risks for us to suffer an injury or be involved in an accident. In fact, according to the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways (DBW), 45 percent of the boating accidents that took place in and around California in 2013 happened in the southern part of the state.
Glotzer & Leib, LLP, understands the devastation victims and their families can face following a boating accident. Attorney Glotzer also understands the intricacies of maritime law, which is a practice area that is extremely complex and unlike any other. Fortunately for his clients, our boating accident lawyer has the skills and experience to guide them and their families through the legal process giving his clients the ability to hold those who harmed them to justice.
Los Angeles County Boat Injury Statistics
By the end of 2013, 98,748 boats were registered in Los Angeles County, which was the most vessels registered in a county statewide, according to the DBW. In addition, this same data revealed that Los Angeles County boating accidents represented 15 percent of all such accidents in Southern California in 2013, including 16 percent of injuries and 17 percent of fatalities. The majority of Los Angeles County boating accidents took place in five areas:
- Santa Monica Bay
- Long Beach Area
- Pacific Ocean
- Castaic Lake
- Pyramid Lake
Of the boat accidents that took place along the Los Angeles Coast in 2013, according to the DBW, most involved:
- Cabin motorboats (55 percent)
- Auxiliary sailboats (34 percent)
- Flooding/swamping (31 percent)
- Collisions with fixed objects (17 percent)
- Operators who were over 40 years old (67 percent)
- Owners/operators who resided in Los Angeles County (71 percent)
Why Could I File a Boating Accident Lawsuit?
If you were injured or someone you love was killed in an accident on or near the water due to an individual’s or a corporation’s negligence, you could be eligible to file a boating accident claim or lawsuit against those responsible.
Victims of the following should speak with a boat accident lawyer as soon as possible after the incident:
- Hit and run boating accidents
- Boat wrecks involving speeding
- Accidents caused by wake being produced in a no-wake zone
- Boating accidents caused by defective equipment
- Overcrowding leading to a boat accident
- Boating crashes caused by improper or missing navigational lights
- Drunk driving boat accidents
- Accidents involving collisions with other boats
- Collisions with fixed objects, such as sandbars, docks, rocks and piers
- Boating accidents caused by operator inexperience or operator error
Call Los Angeles Boat Accident Attorney Joshua Glotzer Today
There is so much to take into account following a boating accident. What type of insurance coverage do those involved have? In what type of body of water did the incident occur? (In the case of maritime law, can make a huge difference as what law applies.) What type of evidence is important and how is it discovered and collected? These are the sort of questions that victims and their families need an experienced accident attorney with proven case results to help them answer.
To set up a free consultation with boat accident lawyer Josh Glotzer of Glotzer & Leib, LLP to discuss your situation, call us directly (844) 821-5271 or fill out our online contact form.